Day 17: Chronicles is a funny word...

I finished reading the four Chronicles of Narnia books that I have. [see: My New Candy]

Lunch: Veggie burger w/ lettuce and OJ

Snack: Chiplets, pineapple

Dinner: Veggie burger w/ that old soda drink D.C.

I couldn't find any pictures of it on Google! Do I have the name wrong?

Snack: Tea and cookies

(the reason I'm not very talkative right now might be attributed to the fact that I'm listening to The Sound of Silence right now. Simon & Garfunkel put me in a funky mood)

Okay, so since I've written so little I feel like I have to explain about my diet.

...

I got nothin'.

Coming up is my review of the Chronicles of Narnia.

My New Candy: I have so many mixed feelings about these books. Okay, let's start with a little background information. They were written by a British man named C. S. Lewis, published in 1950. It is set during the 1940's, during the Second World War.

On to the story itself.

Another thing I didn't like about the book. There was a lot of unnecessary frolicking, as shown on the book cover
First of all, the Christian themes hit you as hard as that bus hit Regina George in Mean Girls [see: Mean Girls). Aslan, the Great Lion, is clearly C. S. Lewis' interpretation of Jesus. Honestly, I was reading the first book (The Magician's Nephew) and he was talking about Aslan being reincarnated or something, and then resurrecting everyone and all the creatures... It just felt a bit too familiar.

Aslan is the one with the mane.
It would've made a better story if the morals weren't thrust in front of you like that.

Aside from, and what some might call 'propaganda' contained in the book, it was enjoyable. I've read other stories written roughly around that time, and they usually make me want to stick a fork in my eye, making me feel that that action would be less painful than continuing the book (Enid Blyton - yes, I mean you.)

Also, considering the time period, women (especially Susan; not so much Lucy) are stereotyped. The women avoid the battle, and one of the Beavers mentions (oh, yeah, there are talking animals) how Lucy acts more like a boy because she hunts, while Susan acts like a proper woman because she stays at home.

Was I being oversensitive by being pissed off at what he said?

The only badass woman is the White Witch. Pity she had to die...

I want her crown. And her awesome fur... thing. Faux fur, of course. I'm vegan, now, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment